9 Genius kids’ products every mom needs
Because life is too short to waste time wrestling with a pram every day.
You knew having a baby wouldn’t exactly be a holiday in Maui, but nobody told you how hard it would be to wrestle with a pram on the subway. Or get stains out of your kids’… well, everything. Or how often you would button and unbutton your baby’s onesie, because you messed up the order of the snaps. Luckily, babies’ products have come a long way, especially in the last few years. Spare a thought for our own parents, who never had access to food-grade silicone – the stuff that’s made our lives so much easier (hello, silicone bottles, placemats, suction cups, bibs and spoons!).
From the invention of hybrid products (like car seat-pram combinations) that save money, space and just generally make your life simpler, to the use of clever materials (Velcro straps will always trump shoelaces and magnetic onesies just make sense) to innovative tweaks (like the forehead thermometer, or leashes for sippy cups), babies’ products are becoming more and more ingenious, and we couldn’t be happier. After all, we’re the ones who have to use them! And as any parent knows, most common baby products are used every single day – the pram, the car seat, the cot, the bib, the clothing. Using products that don’t work – or that add unnecessary stress to your life – is just plain silly. We love the genius innovations at work these days – and these are some of our very favourites.
The Tot’s most ingenious products
- GB Pockit Stroller: The world’s most compact stroller (seriously), this genius kid-carrier folds down to just 12 x 7 x 14 inches. It also stands on its own, so you don’t have to lean it awkwardly against a wall. Made from durable materials, it’s perfect for city living and easy to store at home (even if you live in an apartment), and its size means that public transport is an absolute breeze.
- Doona Infant Car Seat Stroller: This cleverly converts from a car seat to a stroller with the touch of a button. Unlike other car seat-stroller hybrids, this is an all-in-one product that doesn’t require any dismantling. With excellent safety measures and antibacterial, hypoallergenic materials, this is seriously nothing short of genius.
- Modern Twist Mark-Mats: Made with 100 per cent pure food-grade silicone, these placemats are both non-porous and germ-free – meaning kids can use them again and again and again. Perfect for family dinners, they can also be rolled up and taken on holiday, or out to restaurants.
- Avanchy Stay Put Bamboo Suction Bowl and Baby Spoon: With silicone suction, this bowl easily grips to any flat surface, making mealtimes less messy and stressful. The matching spoon has a silicone tip for babies just learning to eat solids.
- Boon Clutch Dishwasher Basket: Keeping your baby’s bottles clean and hygienic can feel like a full-time job, especially when those bottle nipples have a habit of disappearing in the dishwasher! Enter the Clutch, which holds up to six large or 14 small nipples, plus additional parts for eight bottles.
- Boon Lawn Countertop Drying Rack: After washing your baby’s bottles, spoons and other feeding utensils, the best (and most hygienic) way to dry them is simply allowing them to air dry. With the Lawn Countertop Drying Rack, utensils can drain and dry easily. The “grass” holds bottles upright with ease, so you never have to worry about those drops that never seem to dry!
- Make My Day Silicone Baby Bib: Stain-resistant and dishwasher-safe, this silicone bib can be washed again and again without wear and tear. Plus, the built-in crumb catcher makes mealtimes way less messy. Genius, huh?
- Ezpz: You’ve got enough dishes to wash, right? We agree. Cut down on time spent cleaning with this cool placemat-and-plate all-in-one. The Mini Mat suctions to the table (or highchair) for mess-free mealtimes.
- CogniKids Grip Baby Bottle Gripper: Compatible with most bottles, this clever “jacket” allows your baby to start to feed herself independently. The silicone itself makes grasping simple, and the circular shape design encourages baby to practice her pincer grip.