11 Products that will help you eliminate plastic
Plastic is bad for our health and the environment, but it’s so hard to avoid. Here are some healthy alternatives to plastic and a selection of our favorite products.
Newsflash: plastic is not so fantastic. Not for our health. Not for our children. Not for the fishies in the ocean. Not for the planet. Yet we continue to consume and dispose of millions of tons of plastic each year. Let’s look at some quick facts about plastic.
Some sobering statistics
- Since the 1950s, humans have produced an estimated 8.3 billion metric tons of plastic
- Nearly 80 percent of all the plastic we’ve produced has been thrown away, with 9 percent being recycled and the rest incinerated
- Americans alone throw away 30 million tons of plastic each year
- Plastic is made to last forever, yet 33 percent of it is only used once
Why plastic is bad for our health
- Plastics leach harmful toxins such as bisphenol A (BPA), bisphenol S (BPS) and phthalates
- These chemicals are known as endocrine disruptors and they disrupt our hormones
- They can cause a range of health problems, including numerous types of cancer, heart disease, birth defects, reproductive disorders, infertility, diabetes and obesity
- Even plastics labeled “BPA-free” or “phthalate-free” may contain dangerous chemicals
- Plastic is poisoning our food chain because fish and other animals ingest plastic fragments from the water – which have become even more toxic after attracting other pollutants in the environment – and then we eat them and consume those toxins
Why plastic is bad for the environment
- It’s estimated that our oceans now contain 51 trillion microplastic particles (small plastic particles from products such as plastic bags and synthetic clothes), which is 500 times more than the number of stars in our galaxy
- Experts believe there will be more plastic than fish in the oceans by 2050
- Plastic can kill fish and wildlife when they become entangled in it or swallow it – it can either choke them or poison them with toxins
- Chemicals from the plastics in our landfills seep into groundwater and poison our lakes and rivers
What are some healthy alternatives to plastic?
We’re glad you asked. These alternatives to plastic are better for your health and the planet. And best of all, these amazing products are 100 percent plastic-free.
Stainless steel resists corrosion and doesn’t flake. But some types of stainless steel can leach metals, so look for “food grade” stainless steels such as 304, 316, 18/8 and 18/10.
The six sizes of 304 stainless steel Pura bottles are all compatible with the five types of medical-grade silicone lids, so one bottle can take you from babyhood to adulthood. No plastic in sight!
Baby cutlery set
Your little one will love learning to eat like a big kid with this gorgeous Kleynimals Baby Flatware Set made from 18/10 stainless steel and featuring adorable animal designs.
No more messes with Avanchy’s Stay-Put Suction Bowl & Lid crafted from 304 stainless steel and food-grade silicone. It sticks to tables and high chairs and features an airtight lid for travel.
Lunchbots’ innovative range of lunchboxes and bento boxes features only the highest-quality 18/8 stainless steel. Choose from between one and five compartments.
While some studies have found that silicone – a synthetic polymer – may leach chemicals when exposed to very high heat, it won’t under normal conditions. Look for 100 percent food-grade silicone.
Modern Twist Bibs are fashioned from – you guessed it – food-grade silicone and are so easy to use. Roll up the flexible, memory-free bib for on-the-go dining and rescue clothes from endless spills and stains with the non-porous and dishwasher safe material.
Say goodbye to disposable sandwich bags and hello to the revolutionary Stasher snack bag. Made with platinum, food-grade silicone, it’s perfect for food storage and lunchboxes.
The 100% food-grade silicone Happy Bowl will make you smile thanks to its clever placemat-and-bowl-in-one design that sticks to tables and eliminates messes.
A teether is the last place you want to find toxic chemicals. Well, you won’t find a single one in Itzy Ritzy’s food-grade silicone teethers which are too cute for words!
Bid farewell to nasty chemicals with 100 percent organic cotton.
Fluff Snack packs
Who needs nasty plastic when you can pack your food in these lovely, non-toxic, 100% certified organic cotton snack packs by Fluf?
Bamboo is sustainable and free from nasty chemicals. Hurrah!
Avanchy’s stunning range of bamboo dinnerware is not only safe, it also looks fantastic. Paired with FDA-approved, food-grade silicone, the Stay-Put Suction Plate and Spoon and Stay-Put Suction Bowl and Spoon will do as they say – stay put!
These colorful Avanchy Infant Spoons marry the beauty and sustainability of bamboo with the safety and bright colors of non-toxic silicone. Love!