Parenting Trends for 2021
The experts at Pinterest have released their annual report predicting trends for the year to come. Here are their top parenting projections for 2021 and we’re already getting excited…
Each year, the people at Pinterest analyze millions of search terms from around the world and release a report called Pinterest Predicts that forecasts the top trends in categories ranging from beauty and home to travel and parenting.
I honestly didn’t think I’d get excited about “parenting trends”. I’m not one to jump on every bandwagon that appears in my newsfeed, mainly because I find many trends to be fleeting and wasteful. But when I saw Pinterest’s predictions, I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were neither of those things. In fact, I’m already planning activities and crafts for my kids based on them!
The top parenting trends for 2021 are:
- Save the planet, but make it fun!
- Lessons in mindfulness for children
- Not-so-furry pets
Scroll to find out more…
Save the planet the fun way
The Pinterest experts predict that the planet will become our new playground. We’ll use sustainable materials for play and educate our kids while we entertain them. Hooray!
Here are the top search terms relating to this trend and some of our favorite ideas and products:
Pencil shaving art for kids – up 115%
We love this clever way of reusing pencil shavings to make beautiful artwork!
Cardboard toys – up 85%
Not only will parents find ways to reuse cardboard they already have to do craft projects with their little ones, they’ll also look for cardboard toys that are recyclable to reduce their carbon footprint.
- Moulin Roty’s “I am Working” Wooden Toolset comes in a cardboard suitcase. Ages 3 and up.
- Janod Toys’ Bodymagnet cardboard card set teaches kids about anatomy in 12 languages. Ages 7 to 12 years.
- Re-Cycle-Me’s Turning Garbage into Science Kit includes materials and instructions to help kids turn household recyclables (including cardboard) into science experiments. Ages 8 and up.
Outdoor education – up 85%
Natural materials such as sticks, leaves, feathers and flowers will be all the rage for crafts and educational activities. Parents will also snap up toys that encourage outdoor play.
- The Monarch Studio’s Double Sink Mud Kitchen inspires children to make “scrumptious” creations using natural wet and dry materials. Ages 12 months to 6 years.
- Moulin Roty’s Explorer case has all the essentials for a backyard treasure hunt and exploration. Ages 5 and up.
- Plum’s Discovery Create & Paint Easel includes an easy-clean painting easel and a mini gardening station for hours of outdoor fun. Ages 3 and up.
Lessons in mindfulness for kids
Pinterest projects that ‘heart schooling’ will be the new homeschooling. Parents will teach their kids about mindfulness, morality and real-world lessons. I couldn’t love this more!
Here are some of the top search terms and our fave products:
Mindfulness activities for children – up 3 times
Most of us have had to learn a thing or two about mindfulness to stay as calm and centered as possible throughout this crazy year. Now we want to teach our kids how to be mindful while they’re still young and can learn it much more easily!
- Mindful & Co Kids’ Yoga Flash Cards help kids practice yoga and be mindful at home and on the go. Ages 3 and up.
- Paavani Ayurveda’s Aromatherapy Ritual Set can help calm the entire family in a few spritzes (you should avoid applying essential oils directly to babies, but you can spritz them on yourself or in the air). You can also do a short meditation or deep breathing session with your little ones to increase relaxation.
Stories with moral lessons – up 4 times
In 2021, we want to teach our kids to be kind, compassionate, inclusive and brave. Those are worthy lessons!
- Little People, Big Dreams’ Black Voices Book Set helps children understand the Black Lives Matter movement and develop compassion by sharing the stories of three Black trailblazers. Ages 4 to 7.
- Little People, Big Dreams’ Women in Art Book Set celebrates important women in art and inspires girls to follow their dreams. Ages 4 to 7.
Teaching kids manners – up 145%
Being locked down with our kids may have exposed some gaps in their manners because many of us are searching how to teach them!
- Tender Leaf Toys’ Wooden Breakfast Tray helps teach children table manners. Ages 3 and up.
- Marie-Chantal’s Manners Begin at Breakfast book educates kids all about modern manners and etiquette. Ages 5 and up.
In 2021, high-maintenance furry pets like cats, dogs and hamsters are out. So, what’s in? Check out the top search terms!
Pet snails – up 160%
Pet frog – up 110%
Tortoise food – up 95%
Pet chameleon – up 50%
Pet lizards – up 40%
Not feeling the creepy-crawly pet trend? Try these animal games and toys instead:
- eeBoo’s Game Night Set is an award-winning set of three games featuring all kinds of animals. Ages 3 and up.
- eeBoo’s Pre-School Learning Set Level 1 includes animal-themed matching and lotto games. Ages 3 and up.
Tot Product Picks for Parenting in 2021