FIVE X FIVE: Lisa Furuland
The Tot FIVE x FIVE invites inspiring mamas to answer five questions on motherhood and curate their favorite kids’ products they can’t live without. Here we talk to Founder of the baby lounger with a cult following, tastemaker and mother of two, Lisa Furuland.
LISA ON MOTHERHOOD
- For over a decade, you’ve been making life with a baby easier for parents around the world. When did you realize just how influential the DockATot would be? “My hope was always that DockATot would become an invaluable tool for families around the world, just as invaluable as it was for our family when our first child was born. Thanks to social media and the overwhelming popularity DockATot has found on Instagram in particular (we’re up to more than 700k followers), all achieved through organic growth through influencers, giveaways and word-of-mouth. Our top strategy has always been highlighting the mom’s story. It is not a secret that moms take advice from each other when making purchasing decisions. For mothers, hearing about other mom’s experiences is one of the top criteria for purchasing a product online and on social media. It has been truly humbling to see the amount of influence we’ve had around the globe, and ultimately it boils down to the product being exceptional offering unparalleled versatility and quality. Caregivers love to share their experiences, and hearing celebrities such as Eva Longoria, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian, and Molly Sims rave about the DockATot publicly to the media has also shown me how influential the product has become on the public stage.”
- What hurdles did you face when trying to enter the baby gear market? “I think the biggest hurdle I had with DockATot is that I was essentially creating a new category in the juvenile market. The DockATot combines many different products into one (lounger, co-sleeper, portable sleeping solution), so it took some education on our part for consumers to fully understand how the DockATot would invaluably fit into their lives. There is more to the product than meets the eye.”
- Aristot bassinets are like nothing we’ve ever seen before. How did you first get the idea to create Aristot? “Aristot was inspired by my passion for design and my wish to introduce style and sophistication into the nursery. In truth, I spend most of my waking hours thinking about design! In recent years, I have been designing and producing furniture pieces for personal use. Whilst thinking of how to broaden the product for my juvenile businesses, this unique furniture concept was suddenly very clear in my mind. Aristot draws inspiration from various corners of the world and different eras. There are some classical design elements in the current range, such as the Ancient Roman curule seat, which inspired Mies van der Rohe’s iconic Barcelona Chair.
- Now that your children are getting older, do you find yourself envisioning creating products for teens and adults? “Well, with Aristot, we already have. Aristot presents some truly unique features as all the bases can be converted into stylish pieces of furniture, such as tables, ottomans and chairs. Our mission for our entire family of brands is to create something that weaves together style and functionality, while still strengthening the bond between parents and their children. So I did envision Aristot for babies as well as adults. The collection is made to grow with the family, so when your baby transitions out of the bassinet, the adults in the family can enjoy the stylish pieces of furniture for their home.”
- When you’re not working or spending time with you family, what fuels your fire? “I love exploring our hometown of Athens and the Greek Riviera. There is beauty and history at every step. We are a family of wanderlusts, so when we have the time, we also love to travel a lot. One of my other longtime passions is photography. It’s rare you will catch me without my camera gear!”
LISA’S PICKS FOR SUMMERS BY THE SEA
The eternal aquaholic (or beach bum) I am, living in the Med, on the shores of the Aegean Sea, I have a weakness for all things natural and beachy and sunny. This summer I intend to spend as much time on the beach and in the sun as possible, so my top picks on thetot.com right now are:
- Kaanas Women’s Mongui Beach Tote: I love the handmade look and circle handles on this beach tote.
- Kaanas Yassica Frayed Sandal: The frayed edges on these sandals lend a beachy, boho look to a sundress or denim.
- Marysia Santa Barbara Maillot: The scalloped edges on this one-shouldered maillot are so elegant. The style reminds me of a ballerina.
- Lorena Canals Air Natural Pouffe: This comfy and natural looking pouf is the perfect spot to rest with a book after spending the day at the beach!
- Tokyo Bisou Bike: We love riding our bikes to the market in the summertime to pick up goodies for lunch.