FIVE X FIVE: Karolina Kurkova
The Tot FIVE x FIVE invites inspiring mamas to answer five questions on motherhood and curate five products they can’t live without. Here we talk to Karolina Kurkova, Supermodel, Co-founder of Kids’ wellness brand Gryph & Ivyrose and mother of two about her recent sustainable kids’ gear collab with Cybex
While you may know Karolina Kurkova as one of the Victoria’s Secret Angels, the mother of two is doing more than dominating runways and magazine covers these days. From co-founding the natural and herbal based wellness product company for children, Gryph & IvyRose, to collaborating with Cybex to create a line of eco-conscious, innovative and safe products that provide modern parents with the gear they need to live their best (and insanely fashionable) lives, Karolina is using her infectious charisma, irrepressible ebullience and experience as a mother to spread love and gratitude to families around the world.
KAROLINA ON MOTHERHOOD
- How did your children and knowledge as a mother influence your collaboration with Cybex? “I didn’t just come into this collaboration as a model, but as a mother with two children – I’ve pushed strollers, I’ve used car seats. I know that where the kids sit tends to get dirtier, so we chose a stylish fun pattern with a timeless classic color on the exterior. Being a mom is the reason I teamed up with Cybex. It’s an authentic collaboration. I also knew that sustainability in kids’ mobility products wasn’t very common in the market and I’m glad we are able to contribute to the cause in a beautiful way by using recycled yarns and fabrics. I wanted people pushing them or looking at them to be happy.”
- We love that you’re all about quality, not quantity – how do you teach your children about sustainability? “We live on an island, so we’re surrounded by beaches, trees and nature. My kids spend a lot of time outdoors and have been learning how to take care of nature in school. It’s about empowering, educating and exposing them to different things – we separate recycling from trash, we clean the beaches, etc. A lot of it is leading by example. Travel also helps tremendously in teaching them about the world.”
- How has your outlook on life changed since becoming a mother? “When you become a parent, you realize how precious time is. It’s something you can’t buy, so you need to spend it wisely. I find it’s important to be organized with my time, while also allowing for spontaneous moments. For example, it started to pour with rain after dinner last night. The boys were running through the trees in the rain, laughing, giggling. It was such a special moment to see these human beings having so much fun. You analyze things differently because all your decisions affect your family – we are their mentors and they watch what we do and how we do it. We’re very mindful of that.”
- With such a busy life, what are the absolute non-negotiables that keep you and your family centred? “We always have meals as a family, where we all sit down and be together. I love homemade meals where we put the electronics away and just play games and share stories. I think it’s important for kids to have that time together with their family. I have mine help set and clean the table, so it’s become a family ritual.”
- If there’s one piece of advice you could pass onto another mother, what would it be? “Be present. It’s more important to dedicate one hour of solid time with your kids fully locked in then three hours of time when you’re on your email or phone. Make sure you spend meal times with them. I think sometimes we forget that we can also be silly with our kids. I find those the most freeing and connected moments.”
KAROLINA’S FIVE ESSENTIALS FOR A JET-SETTING FAMILY
- Cybex X Karolina Kurkova Platinum Mios Stroller: This lightweight stroller is great for travel because it’s super easy to move around. Plus, it has a mesh back, so it’s really breathable in hot weather.
- Petit Collage What am I? Game: This game is a fun way to connect and be silly but it also teaches kids how to express themselves. Plus it’s perfect for when you’re on the go as it’s easy to pack up in the box.
- Little People, Big Dreams Book: Mother Teresa: This series is a wonderful way to read with kids about history.
- Gryph&Ivyrose Chocolate Probiotics: This is a great healthy treat for kids (and adults!). It’s made from the finest raw, organic, and fair-trade cacao and coupled with billions of active probiotics!
- Cybex X Karolina Kurkova Yema Carrier: For babies from birth to 2 years, this carrier is super stylish while also being really comfortable on your back and hips.
See more from Karolina…