Yes, your child needs this STEM toy
If you’ve been looking for open-ended STEM toys, you’re going to want to know about the PowerClix construction sets from Guidecraft. For over 50 years, this educational toy brand has been innovating ways to make learning the principles of engineering simple & fun through magnetic toy play.
Just like it sounds magnetic toy play is essentially any type of play that includes magnets!
Examples include things like magnetic building tiles, frames, blocks and sticks as well as magnatabs, mazes, game boards and puzzles.
In this article, we’re going to focus on the magnetic PowerClix construction sets from Guidecraft and why these STEM-inspired sets are a must-have for strengthening fine motor skills, encouraging problem-solving, teaching the principles of engineering and facilitating hours of open-ended play.
We’ll also go over:
- The benefits of magnetic toy play
- Magnetic toy play safety tips
- Our favorite Guidecraft PowerClix Construction Sets
Scroll down to learn more!
Magnetic PowerClix Sets from Guidecraft
Guidecraft’s Magnetic PowerClix Sets come in a range of sizes, shapes, colors and themes to help introduce kids to STEM concepts.
STEM, which stands for science, technology, engineering and math are the four areas that have been identified as critical disciplines for 21st-century workers. One of the major benefits of STEM play is how it encourages critical thinking, problem-solving, innovation, communication and entrepreneurship.
Guidecraft’s PowerClix Sets are specifically designed to facilitate open-ended construction play and introduce kids the concepts of engineering and math. With that being said, they can be played with in a variety of ways to also teach colors, shapes, patterns and more.
While one child might choose to build a bridge, another might feel compelled to create a sorting system for nature’s treasures. The great part about these sets is that even though kids can come up with their own designs, they also include a booklet with activity ideas and other design inspiration!
Made from translucent ABS plastic with neodymium magnets, every piece is designed to integrate with all other PowerClix systems, which means your child’s collection can keep on growing over time.
The benefits of magnetic toy play
Not only are magnet toys great for teaching kids the principles of engineering, magnetic toy play:
- Strengthens fine motor skills
- Hones hand-eye coordination
- Promotes critical thinking and problem-solving
- Improves memory
- Expands vocabularies
- Demonstrates cause and effect
- Encourages spacial thinking
- Builds confidence
Magnetic toy safety tips
The dangers associated with magnets arise when a child swallows more than one. This is because the magnets can attract each other, which can result in damage and disruption to internal tissue, organs and blood flow.
To help keep your kids safe, it’s wise to:
- Speak to your child about the dangers of putting magnets in their mouth.
- Always supervise your child while they’re playing with any type of magnet, even if it’s inside a toy.
- Opt for high-quality magnetic toys that have a sturdy design and have been rigorously safety-tested.
- If you notice your child is experiencing flu-like symptoms with nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain, contact your doctor right away.
- Keep all loose magnets (like those on fridges and desks) out of reach of children.
At The Tot, we never use or recommend anything that hasn’t passed The Tot Test. This means we’ve rigorously reviewed third-party testing, examined ingredients lists and asked in-depth questions about a product’s composition to ensure it’s free of the chemicals we avoid and made with child-safe materials.
All Tot Tested and approved, here are our favorite magnetic construction sets from Guidecraft!
Our favorite Guidecraft PowerClix Construction Sets
Available in clear and rainbow as well as multiple different quantities, Guidecraft’s frame sets include creativity guides to help fuel inspiration to create both 2D and 3D designs! The frame sets are suitable for kids ages 4 and up!
Making 2D and 3D designs is simple and fun with Guidecraft’s Solid Sets! Easy for little hands to hold and fantastic for teaching shapes, color recognition, and counting, they’re suitable for ages 3 and up!
Guidecraft’s Natural Powerclix Sets comes in both frames and solids and include engaging activity cards that encourage kids to get outside and explore what natural objects can be integrated into their designs! Ages 4 and up!
The 55 piece Guidecraft Powerclix Construction Vehicles Set comes with easy to mix and match pieces (that are compatible with all the other Guidecraft sets) that enable your child to construct a front loader, dump truck, bulldozer, or invent something new! Ages 5 and up!
- What We’re Reading: Teaching Your Child A Second Language With The Habbi Habbi Reading Wand & Bilingual Books
- Looking for more toys that help teach the principles of STEM education? Visit The Tot Learning & Educational Toys Shop!