Tips for creating a gender neutral nursery
Nursery style has come of age. Here are some tips for creating a modern baby room that’s cohesive, fun and elegant.
Gender rules no longer apply when decorating your tot’s nursery. Nursery trends have taken a gender-neutral turn, letting go of the traditional blues or pinks; flowers or trucks. You can create a dreamy space with muted yet elegant color palettes that don’t scream “boy” or “girl”.
Whether your want to wait until your baby is born to find out the gender, or if you simply want to abandon all stereotypical gender-rules, here are some tips to help you design a modern space fit for your new tot.
- Choose a neutral and muted color palette. There is no shortage of beautiful gender-neutral options such as varying shades of grays, whites, beiges and creams. The color palette will help set the tone of the room.
- Choose a universal and playful theme. The options are endless – from animals, alphabets, stars, and striped patterns to polka dots.
- Invest in furniture that is not just limited for use in baby’s room. Once your toddler outgrows his nursery, make sure the furniture you choose remains timeless and fits in with the rest of your home.
- Add contrasting accent pieces that are playful, functional and chic. Be it a fun storage bin or a statement throw pillow, having these items will add more personality and sprinkle pops of color.
- Make it your own! Remember that you will also spend a lot of time in this room, creating many memories with your baby. Make sure the aesthetic is one that is also a reflection of your own personal style.
Here are some of our favorite pieces to incorporate in your gender-neutral space:
- Petit Pehr Pom Pom Storage: We found the perfect storage bin that’s great for a nursery or anywhere else in your home. The chic Storage Bin will tidy away your little one’s books, toys, blocks and other little treasures. The bin is made of 100% cotton canvas and is completely sturdy for storage.
- Petit Pehr Mobile Noah’s Ark: Nurseries are meant to be fun and imaginative with pops of eye-catching color for your tot. The Petit Pehr Mobile is a charming and modern heirloom piece featuring five playful jungle animals that circle around to delight your little one. Keep your tot entertained with the carefully crafted turtle, elephant, lion, giraffe and whale that are hand-made with felted wool.
- Cheengo Garland in Beach: Your nursery will come to life with the Cheengo Garland wall accessory. The beautiful garland is handmade by Nepalese artisans using traditional felting techniques with 100% New Zealand sheep wool. It’s a fun, stylish and eco-friendly nursery accessory that you and your tot will love!
- Oeuf Hot Sauce Pillow: Spice things up with the fun, bold and super soft Oeuf Hot Sauce Pillow. A statement piece made by artisans in Bolivia, this 12” baby pillow is made from luxurious baby alpaca wool. It’s hypoallergenic and eco-friendly, and is great for imaginative play with your little one.
- Petit Vignone Dream Bedding Set: Your choice of crib bedding can set the tone for your whole nursery. The Petite Vignone Dream Bedding Set features 500-thread count of Peruvian Pima cotton in a beautiful shade of silver, and finished with delicate applique details. Your baby will dream sweet dreams with this set that includes a Fitted Sheet, Comforter, Decorative Pillow Sham, Crib Sheet Protector and a Cloud decorative pillow.
- 1212 Receiving Blanket in Grey: You can’t go wrong with a cozy blanket in a beautiful neutral shade of gray. Made with 100% organic Peruvian Pima cotton, the 1212 Receiving Blanket is extraordinarily soft to the touch, with double-layers to keep baby super warm and cozy. Perfect as a receiving blanket or a stroller blanket, this piece is eco-friendly, hypoallergenic and durable.
- Moba Moses Basket: If you love incorporating modern pieces to your nursery, Moba created a contemporary version of the classic moses basket in three beautiful neutral colors. Designed with safety and functionality in mind, the Moba Moses Basket maximizes airflow and ventilation so baby can sleep comfortably and safely. The basket is anti-bacterial and hypoallergenic, it comes with durable handles, a luxury mattress and 100% pure cotton liner. It is PVC-free, with a low carbon footprint.
- Goodnight Light Akira The Owl Lamp: Consider adding a work of art as a statement piece that can eventually go beyond the nursery and fit perfectly in your living room. British artist Marke Newton designed Akira the Owl Lamp by Goodnight Light, a timeless, shatterproof lamp made of 100% molded vinyl with an LED life span of up to 50,000 hours. Handmade in Spain, this all white lamp is a beautiful sculpture that you and your little one will truly appreciate
- Babee Talk Organic Crib Rail Cover: Your beautiful crib beddings be complemented with this Crib Rail Cover. Perfect for neutral nurseries, this eco-friendly necessity is designed to keep the crib rail guard in place, preventing infants and toddlers from pulling the cover into the crib and rolling over the fabric. Gently textured and made with pure organic canvas and non-toxic dyes, it is also safe for baby to chew on especially when teething.
- Nook Sleep Systems Pebble Pure Mattress: Created and designed by moms with a good nights sleep in mind, the Pebble Pure Mattress features a certified organic coconut layer with natural latex foam to ensure a safe and breathable sleep for your little tot. The dual-sided design offers the superior softness of the eucalyptus wrap, promising comfort for babies and peace of mind for mamas.
- Nook Sleep Systems Pebble Change Pad: Turn diaper-changing time into bonding time as you lay your little angel on the Nook Pebble Changing Pad. This non-toxic foam core pad cradles and supports your baby’s body while the all-natural eucalyptus cover resists stains, is waterproof, removable and washable. Comes in a heavenly shade called cloud.