12 nursery decor gift ideas
Nursery to living room: items that look just as good in your room as they will in your tot’s!
Gone are the days of nurseries being decorated in top-to-toe blue or pink – these days, your tot’s room is bound to be just as stylish as yours!
There was a time when baby girls’ rooms were decked out in pastel pink and lace, and boys’ rooms were exclusively blue (or maybe regimental red). But thankfully, those days are long gone. Now, expectant parents put their own stamp on their tot’s nurseries, which is, of course, exactly how it should be.
In terms of color, don’t be afraid to think outside the box. Soft blues, mint green, dusty pink and sunny yellow will always look great in babies’ rooms, but there’s room also for bold cobalt stripes, metallics like rose gold and copper, and even soft dove grey upholstery and linen. Remember, your tot will be in this room for a long time – so don’t let their baby years dictate all of your decor choices.
And in terms of the decor itself, again, don’t feel confined to “baby items”. Like the products below show, there are plenty of decorative objects out there that are ideal for nurseries, but don’t necessarily have to live there.
Add your own personality to your tot’s room – if you’re a book lover, add wall-mounted bookshelves filled with some of your own childhood favourites. Love superheroes? Add some posters of your favourites. If you were really into toy planes, or cars, or animals as a kid, see if your parents still have them – they’ll make a beautiful addition to your own tot’s room.
Finally, a plant is always a good idea. Look for a plant that filters the air naturally, like a peace lily or money plant. Both remove benzene and formaldehyde from the air. Amazing, huh?
Here are our top decor picks:
- Petit Pehr Striped Hamper – Vertical: Perfect for laundry, toys or even stacks of nappies, these nautical, Hamptons-inspired hampers look fabulous in any bedroom – but especially your tot’s.
- Petit Pehr Pom Pom Hamper – Multi: With super-cute tactile pom poms, this multi-colored hamper adds vibrance to any room. Made of sturdy cotton canvas, these hampers can store hats, shoes, beach gear – and pretty much everything else.
- Cheengoo Garland – Rainbow: Introduce your tot to the colors of the rainbow with this gorgeous multi-colored garland. Made with 100 per cent New Zealand sheep wool and handcrafted in Nepal, this is one of those items that you buy as a gift… and end up keeping for yourself!
- Oeuf Hot Sauce Pillow: For the hipster tot in your house, this super-cool (or should that be hot?!) sriracha-inspired pillow is ideal. Made of soft alpaca wool, this pillow is hypoallergenic and eco-friendly. Plus, it looks really, really cool! Also comes in a VW bus design.
- Goodnight Light Cactus Lamp: Can’t quite make it to Palm Springs with your tot? Bring Palm Springs to you! This retro-inspired cactus lamp comes in three vivid colors and fittingly, projects a warm desert glow in your nursery. Safety-wise, you don’t need to worry as the lamp doesn’t emit any heat – perfect for your tot’s curious fingers!
- Goodnight Light Pineapple Lamp: What’s cooler than a pineapple? Not much. Bring a touch of the tropics to your tot’s room with this super-sweet pineapple lamp. Handmade in Spain, it has a low energy consumption and emits no heat.
- Boon Stash Multi-Room Organiser: You might not have known you needed this, but trust us – you do! This organiser neatly tucks away any clutter and looks great. Wall-mounted or on the floor, you may just want one for every room in the house!
- Kushies Birdcage Night Light: In yellow, soft blue and baby pink, these bird night lights (complete with simulation astro turf – too cute!) are a super-cute addition to any nursery. With 15 hours battery life (and easily rechargeable via USB), this LED nightlight can switch between two levels of brightness, which is great for growing tots.
- Franck and Fischer Nellie Polar Bear Rug: Made of 100 percent certified organic cotton and completely chemical-free, this adorable polar bear rug will warm up your tot’s room – and your tot! Perfect for early floor play, including tummy time, this is sure to be cherished.
- Cheengoo Garland – Toadstool: Inject some woodland magic into your tot’s room with this whimsical wool felt garland. Available in red and yellow, we love the idea of intertwining and hanging both.
Lil Pyar – Hot Air Balloon Mobile – Chambray: It’s magic in the air! This adorable mobile from Lil Pyar fuses the world of imagination with shape and movement that will drift away in your babe’s dreams.
Fiona Walker England – Ombre Giraffe Head Wall Mount – Semi: Lending a fun, safari vibe to a playroom, nursery or bedroom, the Fiona Walker England ombre giraffe head wall decor delights with adorable sophistication. Featuring eco-friendly wool felt, this plush, handmade animal accessory showcases an ivory giraffe with ombre yellow hues.