Nasiba Adilova’s 10 Non-Toxic Mealtime Picks
Of course you care about the food your kids eat, but what about what they eat it from? With so many dangerous plastics and toxic dyes lurking out there, The Tot Co-Founder, Nasiba Adilova, shows us her top 10 picks to help keep your family safe at mealtime.
Before I had kids, I didn’t really think about the chemicals that could be leaching into my food from plastic plates, cups or even cutlery. However, that all changed when I became pregnant for the first time and spent nine months devouring information on how and why I should be careful when it comes to buying clothing, toys, strollers, and dishware for my kids. What I found was shocking. Adverse effects from being exposed to things like BPA, Melamine and Phthalates include hormone disruption, Vitamin D deficiency, heart disease, and everything else you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy. To be honest, I became slightly obsessed and ended up finding products that were not only kind to my family’s health, but also the environment. Below are my top 10 picks.
Hover and click each item for more
- Miniware Dish Set of 5: Miniware cups and plates are a must have in my home. Made from natural bamboo and food grade silicone and dyes, they’re biodegradable, non-toxic and dishwasher safe. The 5 piece set includes 1 main meal bowl, 1 snack bowl and 1 sandwich plate and 2 removable suction feet to keep food going to little ones mouth instead of everywhere else.
- Miniware Cutlery Set: Designed to help your Mini Me learn to eat on their own, Miniware’s biodegradable bamboo and non-toxic spoon and fork set have rounded handles that are specifically shaped for little hands to easily grasp.
- Pura Infant Bottle: For people wanting to go 100% plastic free, Pura’s award winning infant bottle is the answer. Both the bottle and nipple collar are crafted from safe, anti-bacterial, high-grade #304 stainless steel, while their Natural Vent Nipple™ (medium flow) and colorful bottle sleeves are made from medical grade silicone.
- Silikids Siliskin Reusable Snack Bag: The idea of plastic bags filling our landfills and oceans is heartbreaking to me, which is why I use Silikids’ Siliskin Reusable snack and sandwich bags. Because food-grade silicone is dishwasher, freezer and microwave safe, I often use them when making big batches of baby food.
- Wean Green Snack Cubes Garden Pack: Made from recycled glass and topped with silicone lids, they’re completely BPA, PVC & phthalate-free, freezer, microwave & dishwasher safe and come in a variety of shapes and sizes to fit the needs of every eco-conscious family. They can also be written on, which is perfect for meal prepping!
- Thinkbaby Thinkster of Steel: If your baby is ready to transition from a sippy cup, you should definitely check out the Thinkster of Steel. It’s completely free from BPA, phthalates, nitrosamines, lead, PVC, PET, and has (wait for it) a no spill straw! Great for travel, the Thinkster of Steel has two grooved handles, which make it perfect for little hands to hold.
- Modern-twist Baby Meal Mat: Made of plastic-free 100% FDA approved food-grade silicone and inspired by a colorful cast of critters, the Modern-twist Meal-mat is free from BPA, PVC, Lead, Phthalate, Latex and other harmful chemicals and makes mealtime so much more bearable. Seriously – if you have a bouncy kid in a restaurant – break out the Meal-mat!
- Make My Day Silicone Baby Bib: Made from BPA-free food-grade silicone, Make My Day’s Silicone Baby Bibs will keep your baby, their clothes and your floor clean at mealtime. This chic Black Tuxedo bib is completely non-toxic, stain resistant, dishwasher safe and has a built in crumb catcher.
- ezpz Mini Mat: ezpz’s Mini Mat is a genius all-in-one placemat and plate that suctions to the table or high chair to help keep your kids entertained, focused and happy at mealtime. Made from 100% food-grade silicone, it’s free from BPA, PVC, phthalates and other harmful chemicals and is dishwasher, microwave and oven safe.
- Avanchy Bamboo Stay Put Suction Bowl and Baby Spoon: The non-toxic biodegradable bamboo bowl and spoon set from Avanchy do more than just look beautiful in your kitchen. Unlike many baby food dishware designs, the bowl features a brightly colored food-grade silicone suction bottom that grips the table and won’t be knocked around or flipped by little hands.