8 must-have new baby items
8 must-have new baby items that will make the first few weeks easier
As you feel your way blindly through the first few weeks of your baby’s life, every little piece of truly helpful advice can help. You’ll soon be hit with sleep deprivation, and harbor endless parenting questions about whether you’re feeding as often as you should be or if baby is warm enough, too hot, too cold, and so on. You’ll tiptoe around your at-long-last-sleeping infant, you’ll long for any trick, tool or tip that’ll make your job as a new parent much easier.
Well now you can rest easy, because we’ve rounded up our pick of the best newborn products so that you don’t have the added stress of shopping around for the best.
- The perfect pillow: A breastfeeding mom can spend up to 12 hours PER DAY feeding her infant while they’re both learning the ropes. What often follows is backache, stiff shoulders and a sore head. The Nook Sleep Systems Niche Organic Feeding Pillow helps you position your little one correctly to save your arms, so that you can relax and enjoy the bonding experience. Made of 100% organic breathable fabric, it’s impossibly soft and cosy but also helps keep you both cool. Once your breastfeeding days are done, you can use the pillow as a sitting or tummy time prop for baby or as an armrest when you take some much-needed time to yourself to read a book or enjoy a cup of tea.
- Pad it out: The let-down reflex is incredible. It sends feel-good hormones rushing through your body and makes the milk in you available to your baby. However, it’s unpredictable and can (ahem) let you down when you least expect it. Cue leaking breasts, tell-tale wet patches on your clothes and one red-faced mom. On top of this, some breastfeeding mothers can also suffer from mastitis. Kushies Organic Nursing Pads are discreet, comfortable, breathable and minimize the risk of infection. They’re also reusable, so by using them you’re doing your bit for the planet AND your bank balance.
- Tummy buddy: We all get the dreaded post-partum tum, but that doesn’t mean we should wear loose-fitting pants for eternity. These Blanqi high-waisted leggings with built-in core support will become your best buddy in the months after labor. Whether you want to dress them up with pumps and a cute jacket or down with trainers to go on a hike, they’re sure to give you all day comfort, in style.
- Safe space: Newborn tots spend up to 20 hours a day sleeping but not all of them will want to spend those hours in their crib or bassinet. Moms, meet the ultimate baby lounger. The Dockatot Deluxe+ Dock offers you a safe, soft and stylish spot to pop your baby in for a snooze, diaper change or play. It’s free from chemicals and has a non-heat haboring mattress, so you can rest easy while your little tot does too.
- Booger buster: Welcome to the world of parenting, where eventually you will become an expert in all things medical. However, in those early days even a blocked nose will send you into a spiral of despair. Arm yourself with this hygienic, safe and ridiculously efficient nose cleaner and it will be your go-to every time you hear that sneaky congestion forming.
- Sack hack: The American SIDS Institute advises you to place your infant in a bare crib “with no cover, pillows, bumper pads or positioning devices”. Say goodbye to loose blankets that could interfere with their breathing and ‘Halo’ to this organic sack, which ensures your baby can sleep safely without compromising on comfort. The wearable blanket is super cuddly, made from organic cotton and is easy to wash too.
- Sleepy shusher: Gone are the days of soothing your baby to sleep with repetitive rocking, rubbing, shushing or singing. The revolutionary Baby Shusher engages your little one’s natural calming reflex by mimicking sounds in utero to help them on their way to the land of nod. It utilizes an ancient but doctor-tested technique, so is definitely a sleep aid to be trusted.
- Pump and go: When it comes to expressing breast milk, convenience is key. Medela’s Freestyle double electric breast pump with 2-Phase Expression® Technology features a rechargeable battery and lightweight motor, providing a mobile pumping experience to keep up with your busy lifestyle. y.