Nasiba Adilova’s Tot 10 new mama essentials
Exactly what our co-founder knows you need – and don’t! – in those first few months of being mama
Becoming a mama is one of the most amazing – and overwhelming – experiences of our lives. Everything changes, and everyone has advice for you, whether you like it or not. When our co-founder, Nasiba Adilova, became a mama for the first time, she was inundated with recommendations from friends and family – but found that it was really the women who’d just become mamas themselves who were able to help her most. So as she prepares to give birth to her second tot, she takes us through her own top ten new mama must-haves.
- Medela Hospital Grade Pump: Honestly, no other pump compares! Take it from someone who knows: pumping can be challenging, even with the very best equipment, so my advice is to get the best breast pump on the market to make it as easy for you as possible. As a new mama, you need things to run smoothly, and this will really help, I promise.
- Non-toxic baby bottles. For feeding, I swear by Natursutten glass bottles (the glass is dishwasher safe and can withstand extreme differences in temperature) and ComoTomo silicone bottles (made of 100 per cent medical-grade silicone).
- Bottle drying rack: If you’re looking for a last-minute baby shower gift, may I suggest the Boon Countertop Drying Rack? It looks like a patch of lawn and is perfect for drying all those fiddly bits and pieces babies come with, like bottles and nipples and the like. I use mine every day.
- Natural rubber pacifiers: If you choose to go down the pacifier route (I didn’t), go for Hevea or Eco-piggy. They’re the safest ones on the market, made of natural tree rubber and free of BPAs and other nasties.
- Halo Bassinest Swivel sleeper: I am all for having baby in the same room in the first few months at least(!) but I know that this can often disrupt your sleep. This is why I fell in love with the amazing Swivel Sleeper from Halo. It’s the only bassinet that rotates 360º. So your little one can sleep as close as you like while being in his or her own sleep area. The unique design makes it easy to soothe and tend to your baby whenever you need to without you actually having to get out of bed.
- Finn and Emma play gym: I love mine. I say “mine,” but really it belongs to my soon-to-arrive-baby and formerly my son… but still, I love it! Everything from Finn and Emma is made of natural materials like untreated hardwood and organic cotton, meaning that everything is as safe as possible for your tot. Plus, they look absolutely beautiful, which is a lovely little bonus. This will be a lifesaver during those early months when you need to put the baby down for a few minutes (without a meltdown from either of you!) or when you decide to introduce tummy time.
- Kyte Baby Sleepsack: I love Kyte Baby for their safe designs and super soft and comfortable fabrics. I just wish they made adult clothes. I’d live in them all the time they are so comfy! My son definitely slept better in his little sleepsack. I also love that it has a double zipper which means changing those late night diapers is a little easier.
- Car seat/stroller: Because this is my second baby, I won’t have the luxury of staying home as much as possible during those early months. Nope – I’ll be off dropping my son at preschool, playdates and so on. All of this is to say that I need a safe, comfortable car seat and stroller – and this one from Doona fits the bill perfectly. It snaps from a car seat capsule to a full stroller in ten seconds (I kid you not) and meets the highest US safety standards. I’m smitten already.
- Non-toxic change pad: I love the Nook Pebble change pad. It’s made from non-toxic foam and contoured to comfortably hold your baby. The cover is made with all-natural eucalyptus and is stain resistant, waterproof, removable, and washable.
- Organic baby clothing & swaddles: I’m a big believer in living as organically as possible, and for the first four weeks of my baby’s life, I intend to use only organic baby clothing and swaddles, as I did with my son. My favorite brands are 12|12, Woombie and Mori.