Feeding Essentials For New Moms
Save your sanity with these non-toxic feeding products that will keep your little milk monster happy and healthy.
The first few months of a baby’s life can seem like a blur of feeding, burping, changing, settling and repeating. Some days, you don’t even manage to shower until noon and you keep wondering whether it’s Monday or Wednesday. It’s a good thing those precious newborn cuddles make it all worthwhile.
Whether you’re breastfeeding, formula feeding or a bit of both, having the right feeding products at your fingertips can make your life easier and prevent you from turning into a frazzled mess. There’s nothing worse than searching for a clean baby bottle at 3am when your little one is screaming for milk!
Step 1: Say goodbye to nasty chemicals. Choosing high-quality, non-toxic feeding essentials will give you even more peace of mind knowing that all the materials used are safe. We now know that even BPA-free plastic can leach chemicals known as endocrine disruptors that mimic our hormones and can have ill effects on our health. Thankfully, there are plenty of safe alternatives out there so you can avoid exposing your baby to any nasties.
You’ll also find that you won’t need to replace feeding products made from high-quality materials as often as those of lesser quality (if at all) because they’re more durable and often come with a warranty. Here are our top picks for feeding essentials that will help you keep your baby fed and happy:
- Stainless steel baby bottle: The philosophy behind the Pura bottle range is pure genius. Made from high-quality stainless steel with a medical-grade silicone nipple, the bottles are 100 percent free of plastic and toxins. And once your little one is done with their 11oz Infant Bottle with Medium Flow Nipple, you can simply change the sip spout to turn it into a regular water bottle. It even comes with a lifetime warranty!
- Glass baby bottles: Natursutten Glass Baby Bottles are free of BPA, BPS, phthalates and other harmful chemicals that can leach from plastic bottles. The nipples are made from 100 percent Hevea rubber, which is natural, sustainable and safe for your baby, and feature a double valve that helps prevent gas and colic.
- Milk pumping tote: Medela’s Pump In Style Advanced On-The-Go Tote is a must-have for breastfeeding mamas who pump several times a day. Featuring a double electric pump, built-in bottle holders and a removable cooler bag that can hold four milk bottles and an ice pack, it will make pumping on the go a breeze.
- Drying rack: The Boon Lawn Countertop Drying Rack is the perfect way to dry your baby bottles and accessories. Free from BPA, phthalates and PVC, it’s safe, easy to clean and looks stylish in your kitchen.
- Silicone bottle brush: Boon’s eye-catching Forb Silicone Bottle Brush features innovative silicone “petals” that clean baby bottles and sippy cups without scratching them like the nylon bristles of regular bottle brushes do. It comes with a built-in nipple cleaner and a vase for upright storage.
- Burp cloth: The Little Unicorn Cotton Muslin Burp Cloth will help you catch spills more effectively with its innovative shape and four quilted layers of cotton. Choose from a range of gorgeous patterns for boys and girls.
- Nursing pillow: Relieve pressure from your arms, shoulders and legs during breastfeeding with Holy Lamb Organics’ Bo Peep Nursing Pillow and Cover. Made from premium eco-wool and covered in 100 percent certified organic cotton, it creates a safe and comfortable nursing haven for you and your little one.
- Bottle sterilizer: Dr. Brown’s Deluxe Bottler Sterilizer steam-sterilizes six bottles in 12 minutes at the touch of a button. It also features an accessories tray so you can easily sterilize your breast pump parts, nipples and pacifiers.
- Breastmilk storage bags: Medela’s Pump & Save Breastmilk Bags (pack of 50) allow you to store your milk safely and conveniently. The BPA-free bags feature a no-leak zipper top, a stand-up bottom and an oxygen barrier to help preserve your precious milk in the fridge or freezer.