Calgary’s Pregnancy and Baby Reading List
Mamas-to-be typically read a LOT about pregnancy and newborns, but which books should you pick up?
Calgary Avansino shares her essential reading list.
If I’m really honest I spent a lot more time reading about pregnancy, nursing and motherhood during my first pregnancy – as a first-time mom you never realize how much extra time you have on your hands!
But even with bumps two and three I have referred to all these wonderful books from time to time for reassurance, information or inspiration. I’m not one to follow any routine or programme strictly, because I think your gut maternal instinct always serves you best, but these are all terrific resources to have on your bedside table.
- The Gentle Birth Method: The Month-by-Month Jeyarani Way Programme by Dr. Gowri Motha and Karen Swan MacLeod, Thorsons Publishing
- The Nursing Mother’s Companion (Sixth Edition) by Kathleen Huggins, Harvard Common Press
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin, Vermilion Publishing
- The 90-minute Baby Sleep Program: Follow Your Child’s Natural Sleep Rhythms for Better Nights and Naps by Polly Moore, Workman Publishing
- Birth and Beyond: The Definitive Guide to Your Pregnancy, Your Birth, Your Family – from Minus 9 to Plus 9 Months by Dr Yehudi Gordon, Vermilion Publishing
One of the best pieces of advice a friend gave me when I was pregnant with my first child was to not spend all my time solely reading pregnancy books but to read a few books about parenting and childhood development too, because let’s be honest, pregnancy is only a tiny percentage of your time as a parent. Here are a few of my favourite post-pregnancy reads.
- Mindset: How You Can Fulfil Your Potential by Carol Dweck, Robinson Publishing
- Nurtureshock by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman, Ebury Press
- The Attachment Parenting Book: a Commonsense Guide to Understanding and Nurturing Your Baby by William Sears and Martha Sears, Little, Brown and Company
- Gentle First Year: the Essential Guide to Mother and Baby Wellbeing in the First Twelve Months by Dr Gowrie Motha and Karen Swan MacLeod, Harper Thorsons Publishing