A guide to gear for grandparents
You’ve been waiting years for grandkids – but now that they’re here, what do you need to take to care of them?
First up, congratulations! You’re a grandparent. How does it feel?
Amazing, we bet. But also… maybe a little nerve-wracking? After all, it’s been a while since you strapped a tiny tot into a car seat, or pushed them down a busy sidewalk in a stroller, right? And times have changed since you had your own little ones.
The good news is that caring for babies is like riding a bike – it’ll all come flooding back the minute you take that little one in your arms. And the other good news is that, yes, times have changed – meaning that baby and toddler products are now safer, more sustainably produced, and easier to use than ever before.
But what, exactly, do you need? Grandparents aren’t full-time carers, but we’re betting that you want to take care of your family’s new addition at some stage. If that’s the case, you’ll need the basics – a car seat, a stroller, a cot and later, as your tot gets older, a high chair. Throw in a few well-chosen toys, some books (choose some from your own childhood – you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how well-received they’ll be!) and a few changes of clothes (trust us) and you’re set. Happy grandparenting!
- Doona Infant Car Seat Stroller: In a word, this car seat-stroller hybrid is perfect. Seriously, we could not love it more. Not only is it a world-class stroller, it doubles as a car seat, and easily manoeuvres between the two settings with one click. For the grandparent on-the-go, this is a must-have.
- GB Pockit Stroller: If you’re a grandparent, chances are you don’t want your grandkids’ gear clogging up your space – but you do want them to have the best of the best, right? Enter the Pockit Stroller – it’s won the Guinness World Record for the stroller that packs away to the smallest dimensions (that’d be 12x7x14 inches, basically the size of a handbag), but it also has exceptional steering and safety features.
- Nuna PIPA Car Seat and Base Set: When it comes to travelling with your grandchild, you want to make sure they’re as safe as they can possibly be, right? The Nuna PIPA seat has won countless awards for its safety and design, and it’s easy to see why. With side impact cushioning, easy installation to ensure maximum safety and even a removable, UPF 50+ canopy, this car seat provides complete peace of mind. Happy travels.
- Nuna Sena Aire Travel Cot: Got company? You need this cot – not only can it be opened with one hand, its unique design allows maximum airflow to keep your tot safe, happy and healthy all night long.
- Clek Fllo Car Seat: When your little one grows a little bigger, you’ll need to move on to a toddler car seat. The Clek Fllo boasts exceptional safety features like energy-absorbing crumple technology, side impact safety and an anti-rebound bar to protect your child’s head in the event of an accident.
- Bumbleride Car Seat Single Adaptor: Got a car seat? Got a stroller? Use this nifty adaptor to make the two match – and latch. With this adaptor, you can latch in a Nuna Pipa, Cybex Aton Q or Maxi Cosi car seat to your Bumbleride Indie or Speed strollers.
- Bugaboo Stand: Grandparents aren’t full-time carers, and their homes should reflect that. Grandparents don’t need every product under the sun – just a select few that do the job properly. The Bugaboo Stand is uniquely nifty – it allows your Donkey or Cameleon seat and bassinet to become a high chair and cot respectively, saving space and clutter.
- Nuna Leaf Curv Bouncer: For those times when you need to put your tot down (trust us, the time will come), this Bouncer will come in very handy. Noise-free and motor-free, it provides a safe, comfortable space to rest your tot. It even grows with them, holding weight up to 130lb, making it an excellent investment.
- Nook Sleep Systems Lilypad Playmat: Perfect for tummy time, reading a book together, or even as a picnic rug, this playmat is machine washable, so it’ll last the test of time.
- Finn & Emma Play Gym: If you think a play gym is just another product that’ll take up space, think again: these nifty infant toys actually help grow and develop your tot’s eye sight, fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination (you can see more about that here). Plus, this one doesn’t actually take up too much space.
- Oeuf Fawn Bassinet and Crib: Sleepover time! When your grandchild is ready to stay the night, make their visit cosy and comfortable with this gorgeous bassinet, which transforms to a crib when your tot is ready.